Friday, September 14, 2012

Homeschool mother's journal: just keep going

 








In my life this week...I had great plans for the week on Monday, but by Tuesday reality set in.  The baby was not feeling well since Sunday.  He wouldn't go to sleep, and was cranky every night.  I lost a few good nights of planning and preparation for the next day because of it.  Then, I finally called the Dr. Tuesday evening, and got him in for Wednesday morning.  Which of course meant that we were going to be out and about again, and not much school would be getting done for yet another day.  Turns out the baby had an ear infection in one ear, and the other was on it's way too.  We were taking care of some errands after the Dr. appointment in town, and noticed that the fountains were on (much to our surprise).  The kids begged me to let them go (in their clothes) since we hadn't made it to them all summer.  The fountains were completely deserted except for 2 small children.  I said yes even though we really needed to get home and get some stuff done.  It was kind of nice to be able to take that moment, and just go with it.  We stayed and played in the fountains, while the school buses went by, and I accepted what our homeschool was looking like at that moment, and really all week.

In our homeschool this week...I had plans to row (Five In A Row) How to make an apple pie and see the world to kick off our apple fun for this month.  We will definitely be taking longer than a week!  We went to pick apples on Monday, and we've done some of the geography by finding each place that the girl went to in the book.  But, that's as far as we got this week.  It sure is a great book though, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the activities, and some more apple pie fun in the next week or two.

Helpful homeschooling tips to share...Just keep going.  Even if you feel like you haven't accomplished nearly half of what you wanted to, don't give up.  Keep at it, and soon it all will come together.  That's usually what I have to say to myself on a weekly basis.

I am inspired by...the sewing machine.  A few years ago I pretty much stopped sewing because I thought I wasn't very good at it, but I have been feeling like I should take it up and develop that talent more.  My Hubby has been huge in this too, he has helped to get me excited about making our halloween costumes, and he even let me get a new sewing machine!  My old one has some issues, and it sat at the sewing place for a few weeks, but never got fixed.  Long story short, I opted for a new one since we aren't sure the issues can be fixed.  My new one came a few days ago, so I'm excited to get to know it more starting this weekend.

 Places we are going and people we are seeing...on Tuesday we went to The Oregon Garden for homeschool day.  We go every year, and we enjoy it every time.  This year was just as nice, even though the activities are usually the same with some variation, my kids always learn a lot.  Wednesday was the Dr.'s, and errands.  Thursday is April's lesson day.  She had horse lessons, and piano lessons.  Before horse lessons we stopped by the library, and in between we decided to check out the Oktoberfest in Mt. Angel.  It was hot, but fun.  We got a personal (pretty much) accordion show while walking through.  One of the guys even let Aaron poke a few of the keys on the accordion.  It was pretty fun to see a real accordion in action.  Today we went to homeschool group at the library for some science fun.

My favorite thing about this week was...picking apples with the kiddos, and getting ready for our apple unit we will be doing for a while.  Going to the Oregon garden was a close runner up.

What's working for me...focusing on the home.  Trying to eliminate trips to town, being home as much as possible, make homemade as much as possible, and making home a better place.  I can get so much more done!

Questions/thoughts I have...I am noticing I am getting stuck in some old ruts.  I need to get back out of those again.  Just a thought. 

Things I'm working on...it feels like I am working on everything right now.  I've been working on getting the pool drained, and ready to put away while it's still nice out.  I'm working on a lot of preparations for our apple unit study, and apple pie row.  I'm working on canning some of the apples we picked.  I'm also working on figuring out my new sewing machine.

I'm reading...this is always a dreaded question for me because usually it's the same books as the last time.  Although, I don't think I picked up any of my books this week.  I read part of my sewing machine manual though!

I'm cooking...I made potato topped meatloaf one day, but that was probably the best meal all week.  It was a grab whatever kind of week for dinners.  Blah!  One of those ruts I'm talking about!

I'm grateful for...having my 11 year old at home during this stage of her life.  She had an emotional break down on Wednesday afternoon, and I know it was just emotions.  I was thankful that I am in tune with her since I am with her all day, and I knew exactly what was happening.  I was able to take a step back, and help her in the way that SHE needed it.  Thankful that she understood too.

I'm praying for...guidance as April is getting older, and heading into the age of adolescence.  I'm not sure I'm ready for this.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...


A back to school pencil craft that we made for church activity girls group.  April had fun making some more at home.

IMG_1509
 
 To see more homeschool Mother's Journal entries visit iHomeschool network.


Desiree

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! We are in a meal planning rut too. I used to be so good at sitting down and planning things out for us, grocery lists...shopping...cooking, but I have been so unmotivated and uninspired latetly. I'm going to try and push through it this weekend though :) Hope your able to as well lol.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...