Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Homeschool Copywork (A REVIEW)

We received a Lifetime Membership to Homeschool Copywork which gives us access to a variety of e-books for copywork and notebooking pages such as the Claude Monet Copywork and Wright Brother's copywork. It is all accessed online, and you download each book from the website when you need it. Or, you can download them all!

Homeschool Copywork Review
Are you looking for an enriching way to get handwriting done in your homeschool? I have loved the idea of copywork since the beginning of my homeschool journey, and have tried to be consistent with implementing it. But, I've found that finding the things to copy to be more work than I have time for, so we haven't done it as much as I would like over the years. Having a membership to Homeschool Copywork over the last few weeks has shown me that it can be done! I have finally had great success, and have been able to fully see the worth of copywork come to fruition over the short time we've had it.

IMG_0342
We printed up pages as we needed them!

What exactly is copywork?

Well, I linked you to the Homeschool Copywork's explanation, which is great.  You should go read that if you have time. Basically copywork is handwriting, spelling, punctuation, great quotes from great people in history, and some great ideas for children to think about. It is a great opportunity to teach children more than just writing. We use copywork for all of the above, and we often weave them into our current unit studies or interests.

What did we get?

With our lifetime membership we have access to many different types of e-books. There are artists, hymns, scriptures, composers, holiday, science, seasonal choices, and more. When I am looking for something new I just log in, and click on the level I want. It gives me a list of all the e-books that have that level of writing included. A lot of the books have several levels from elementary through high school. Most of what we did over the review period was something related to what we were studying.

Homeschool Copywork Review
Cover of the All Creatures of Our God and King copywork book.

I had my high schooler work on this hymn since she really loves music. She also did copywork from the Elizabeth Barrett Browning, and Mozart e-books. An added benefit of some of these e-books is that it has a page or two of information about the subject at the beginning. I had her read and learn just a little bit about the person or thing she was writing about. It really brings meaning to some of the copywork.

IMG_0360
This was a long quote from the Wright Brothers copywork book! I had the boys do this one over 2 days (which is why it's in 2 different colors)

My younger boys worked on some Wright brothers quotes. They liked to color the pictures included on their pages as well.


Homeschool Copywork Review
Cover for the Wright Brothers copywork.

This spring we are studying the garden.What a great time to study the artist Claude Monet. I was excited when I looked through the homeschool copywork to find an e-book for him!

image
An example of my 4th grader's copywork page one day. This one is from the Monet book.

I loved that it included many of Monet's great pieces of art, so I was able to print those up and display them in our living room for our enjoyment. It has been a great reference to look at for our studies, and our copywork.

image
This is a picture to show how we used the pictures from the Monet copywork book.
What did I think overall?

I am a huge fan of Charlotte Mason methods for teaching in our homeschool. I love many of her ideas such as nature studies, classics, and of course copywork. I was very impressed with the ease of which I could access many different types of copywork pages over so many different subjects. I loved how they had information about the subjects, and pictures. I would definitely recommend giving this a try if you are interested in making copywork a part of your homeschool day. The only draw back I found was that it wasn't so easy to search for exactly what you wanted. You have to scroll through each level to find the books you want. Not to hard to do though.

I hope this review was helpful, but if you'd like to read more reviews and see what others thought you can click on this banner below.

Homeschool Copywork Review

You can also find Homeschool Copywork here:



Crew Disclaimer

1 comment:

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...