Friday, February 8, 2013

Homeschool Mother's Journal: Feb. 8

 



In my life this week...I pruned hacked  a bush in my front yard to get some twigs for a new decoration that I wanted to create for my mantle.  It was a lot of fun making, and a much needed creative outlet.  I've wanted to get something on my bare mantle, and a homeschool friend had a decoration similar to this that I just loved.  It's not much, but it sure does spruce up the place.  I've got lots more ideas I can't wait to get done to decorate this space.

IMG_2850

In our homeschool this week...I officially started tot school with Alex.  He loved it!  I have to say that with this being my 3rd time around doing tot school getting ready for it was a breeze.  I think I finally know what I'm doing!  It only took 3 kids to figure it out :-)  LOL.  I just hope it's a sign that things will get easier as we go through each year.

As for the older kids' homeschool this week...I think we finally finished up Texas with Aaron, but we have a few more books to read that we picked up at the library today.  We finally got his Chuck wagon craft done.  At the end he said he didn't like it because the wheels were too big.  I think they turned out really cute (I say "they" because Aric wanted to make one too).  It was pretty fun to make.  I'm excited to move onto the next state with him.  Utah is up next!

IMG_2855


Places we're going and people we're seeing...oh my we have been going, going, going!  I think I'm ready to slow down again!  Anyway, we went to the library this week, finished up swim lessons, art class, horse lessons, Monday school co-op, friends house to play, bread exchange, and April started a Harry Potter book club at her BFF's house.  Phew!  Oh, and we also managed to make it to the homeschool bookstore too for a much needed review of new potential math curricula.

My favorite thing this week was...Aaron memorizing part of a poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost.  He memorized the first stanza which was pretty good for him.  He really impresses me with how quickly he can memorize something.

My kiddos favorite thing this week...Monday school.  They all love it (except Alex, he doesn't like the nursery).  Aaron's "camping" class they made a real fire outside, he was so excited.  He also loved making a viking sword and a shield in his Magic Treehouse book club.

Things I'm working on...oh I have quite the list!  But, I guess I'm focusing this week on thinking about decorating.  I have not been much of a decorator other than at Christmas time, so I've been excited and inspired to be more creative in that area.  I want to focus on "family" themed decorations so it should be pretty fun.  I used to feel like I didn't have any time to waste on decorating other than a few knick knacks here or there, but lately I have felt that I should make the time because it brings me happiness to create and make my home beautiful especially with family memories.  So, that's what I'm working on probably over the next year or so.  It'll definitely be a slow process.  My next project is a canvas with all our hand prints on it and our family name at the top.

I'm cooking...crockpot Italian chicken over rice, and tacos.  Those were my two "winning" dinners this week (meaning most everybody loved them).  I need to get back into the meal planning, and cooking groove again.

I'm grateful for...good books, a great family, a wonderful Hubby, pictures of family memories up on the wall, snuggles and hugs and kisses from my little ones, so many great and interesting things to learn even when I'm an adult.

I'm praying for...my number to not be called in for jury duty on Monday morning.

Something I am ogling or have my eye on...sonlight curriculum.  I want it.  I don't want to spend that much money, but I think it would be a perfect fit for us.  Sometimes I get tired of pulling our curriculum bits and pieces together, and I've seen how wonderfully sonlight works for so many families.  I am considering it for next year.  I am really trying to decide if I should get the Kindergarden level now for my Pre-K.  He's ready for Kindergarden level in so many ways, so I'm not sure I want to wait.  I don't know yet.  We'll see!

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...Aaron reciting the first part of the poem.  This isn't the best video, but it was all he would let me get :-)  I asked him to recite it again a few days later, and he still remembers it.  Hopefully we can get the rest soon!


So, that's our week in a nutshell!  To see other homeschool journal entries visit iHomeschool network.

Desiree

2 comments:

  1. I love your decoration spot and that Valentine's piece is really cool. I agree it's so important to do something that makes Momma happy. I've been working on feeding that in myself, too. And April loved the book club; she engaged well in the discussion. We're all excited about the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? The Texas Chuck Wagon craft is what caught my eye when skimming through all of the posts linked to this meme. I LOVE it! It is so cool! He did a great job reciting his poem. I definitely have to learn how to do add personal videos to my posts. I am assuming you have to create a You Tube account and upload personal videos to your account. Then, you would embed the video - right? Is is free? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch! I linked up my post this week. I missed last week so I doubled up. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...