Thursday, September 24, 2020

Baking a "thunder" cake

We have added another Thinking Tree Journal to Alex's fun schooling list. I have to say, I am really loving fun-schooling and these books (if you want to learn more about what "fun-schooling" is you can visit The Thinking Tree books website). 

This actually was supposed to be Aric's book, but he ended up not liking it so I asked Alex if he wanted to work through it. He said "sure." So, here we are! He started The Baker's Fun-Schooling Journal. He's "majoring" in Baking this year for school.

Untitled

One of my favorite things about these journals is this, they get to choose their own books to learn from! (And we have a better record of the things he's reading)

Untitled

Alex needs help in this department because he's just not into books, so I put a few books on hold for him to choose from. One of the books I discovered (and thought he'd like) was Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco. He added it to his list of books.

 

Untitled

I didn't know what this book was about, or even that there was a recipe at the end. I was just looking for books to get him excited about getting in the kitchen. He has not wanted to help bake or cook lately because he felt "he wasn't good at it." Which I have no idea why, but that was his perception, so I looked for picture books mostly because that's what he wants right now.

Untitled
It was supposed to be a 2-layer cake. One layer didn't make it out of the pan right, so he called it his "off-road" cake.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this book was fun to read and it had a recipe at the end. He wasn't sure about trying the recipe at first, but I convinced him we should give it a try. It has a secret ingredient of tomato puree (we used tomato sauce this time). This is what intrigued us!

Untitled

The recipe was pretty simple, but he still learned some pretty stellar baking lessons.

Untitled

One of those lessons was mixing egg whites until they become stiff. He thought that was pretty amazing, and didn't know eggs could do that.

Untitled

This kid wanted to do it all by himself too. I just helped him understand and find things when needed. He did all the work!

Untitled

The finished product didn't quite come out as planned because the cake didn't release from the pan. Apparently we need to spray these pans more. But, voila! His first homemade from scratch cake!

Untitled

I think he's a bit more excited about getting in the kitchen after this baking experience. While it was not a complete success, it was successful. He feels a bit more confident in the kitchen, and he got a yummy treat.

8 comments:

  1. It's fantastic to see kids in the kitchen! Looks like he did a great job, and learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes I am quick to dismiss cooking as "homeschool" over just sitting down and doing bookwork, but there are so many valuable lessons in the kitchen. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This looks like such a fun way to homeschool! My boys love learning through food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are really enjoying homeschooling with these books. I want my boys to feel comfortable in the kitchen, and they sure do love food!

      Delete
  3. Looks like fun. I haven't heard of The Thinking Tree curriculum. I have been looking at their books for an hour now. Thanks for the link. There are some great options there.

    God's Blessings,
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drool everytime I look at the Thinking Tree curriculum website! So many good books to choose from!

      Delete
  4. This is really awesome. I have been thinking about getting one of those books for our kids but been hesitant to do so. Nice to see how families use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does help to see how others use them. They have a great facebook group where all kinds of moms share what they do with the books. So much creativity! Joining this group is what made me decide to finally take the plunge and try them. https://www.facebook.com/groups/FunSchoolingwithThinkingTreeBooks

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...