Monday, February 21, 2022

My Weekly Notebook: Fun outings, cookies, and a Hershey Kisses spelling game

Life this week...

It was a busy 3-day weekend so I'm just now getting to writing about the past week. I know it's Monday, but all of my "this week's" will be about the past week. Not the current week. I always hope to write my weekly wrap-up before the weekend hits, but that's just hard to do some weeks. So, here's our last week's adventures!

Homeschool this week...

We discovered Minecraft Education Edition. It's pretty cool. There are so many great lessons all ready set up on there. Alex completed a few of the math lessons. One was finding the degree of angles. This was a fun way to do angles! I sat with him and helped him with the first few. After that he was able to do them all on his own.

Untitled

He used a Math Time Page from his Minecraft Thinking Tree Curriculum Journal to write down the angles and measure them. 

  Untitled

I'm excited to see what other fun lessons we can find on Minecraft Education Edition.

Mom-school this week...

I am learning about the powers of Congress in preparation for my co-op class. I am also going through and reading the Constitution and trying to understand it. That is something that I will also have to work on with the students in my co-op class, so I need to be studying it too. 

For fun Mom-school this week I am making some of these yarn pom-pom balls for our library's community project. The library is asking anyone who wants to make these to decorate the library for spring break. I've almost got enough to take in. They didn't come out as puffy as I would have liked, but they were fun to make!

  Untitled

Helpful homeschool tips and advice to share...

I thought I'd share this video about Thinking Tree Funschooling books. We really enjoy using these Journals for our school. And, since I featured one of the pages in this post, I thought I'd share how they work.


Places we're going and people we're seeing...

  • We went to the snow on Saturday with the youth from church.
  • We went to a new (to us) indoor park in Salem called Adventure Park
  • We visited the Tillamook Cheese Factory.
  • We went to Co-op.
  • Alex went to Parkour PE.
  • I also took Alex to Get Air on Tuesday morning. A trip I had promised him a while back.
Pictures from our outings this week:

Get Air
    Untitled
    He wanted to try out a board this time.


    Untitled
    The boards are not as easy as they look to jump with!
Adventure Park:
Untitled
Huge indoor play structure! Can you see Alex at the top? It's just his head.
Untitled
We played a game of Mini golf.
Untitled
My ball was as yellow as the mini-golf house!
Untitled
They had quite a few holes of mini-golf! It wrapped around the playground. They had a lot of fun stuff packed into this place!
Untitled
We also played ski-ball and corn-hole (not pictured).

My favorite thing this week was...

Receiving a special gift from my clogging teacher, a little pot to grow some sunflowers, and a special card. It's the little things. Good news! My seeds are already growing!

  Untitled

My kids' favorite thing this week was...

All the fun adventures we had this week. We had more than the usual number of fun outings in one week. It was like non-stop going and fun. Not as much planned for this week though.

Random things the kids worked on...

Alex is thinking about selling cookies to earn some money for a LEGO set, so he worked on perfecting his cooking-making skills. He makes these Peanut butter cookies really well.

  Untitled Untitled Untitled

What we're reading...

The Minpins by Roald Dahl was a fun picture book that took us a few days to read. 

  Untitled

Something that worked out great or didn't work out for us this week...

This spelling/matching game with Hershey's Kisses worked really well this week. Alex was super excited to play it, and he enjoyed matching the words with their definitions. I also feel like our Chocolate Unit Study is going really well. It's a good break from the regular school work for us right now, and we're learning a lot about how chocolate is made, rainforests, chocolatiers, and more!

  Untitled Untitled Untitled

Other thoughts from the week...

Hope your Valentine's day was lovely! 

  Untitled


I'm grateful for...

Businesses that invite the public in for educational fun and tours to share all their secrets and knowledge about whatever it is that they make or do. Like the cheese factory today. It's always fun to see how the cheese-making process goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...