Monday, July 11, 2022

What we're reading

I have to admit we haven't been reading much as we have been busy with summer fun activities, but I'm hoping we can slow down a little more now and get some good books in. 

We went to the homeschool bookstore last week for the first time in a few years and I was just reminded of just how much I love books. I'm not sure why we haven't gone in so long, but I immediately remembered why I love going to that bookstore or any bookstore for that matter.

I told Alex he could pick a book, and he picked Star Wars in Shakespeare! I was surprised and pleased. He said it looked interesting. This is the kid who hates reading. Guess what? He has really enjoyed reading this aloud to me so far. He's learning a lot of new words and trying to understand the Shakespearean language. I am enjoying listening to him read this too.

Untitled
Star Wars in Shakespeare verse. Alex picked this book at the bookstore!

We are also reading Summer of the Monkeys and then we'll watch the movie. We are only a few chapters in but it's good so far!

Untitled
Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls


I am trying to find activities that go along with Summer of the Monkeys, but there's not a lot for older kids! I did find some great resources on Walking by the Way's blog, including this idiom matching game. It was a fun game to play and discuss idioms like "monkey business."

Untitled


We have some other monkey books in our library stack that I haven't gotten a picture of yet, so I will share those later.

What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...