Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Homeschool Mother's Journal: May 18 (camping)

 




In my life this week...I decided to take the kids for an unplanned trip and camp at Champoeg Oregon state park this week because my in-laws were going to be out there.  My Hubby did all the work with getting the trailer out there and back.  He's so great for doing that for us, and I'm thankful for his willingness to do it even though he couldn't be out there with us the whole time except the evenings after work.  It is only about 15 minutes to this campground from our house, but still so fun for a little get away.  The first 3 days were okay, but then it started raining too much for the last 2 days.  Luckily we were close to home and we could just go home when it was too wet to do anything.

In our homeschool this week...I planned little school work because I knew we'd be gone camping most of the week.  I took math books, and we got math done 2 of the days we were out there.  April did a lot of bird watching, and identified several birds throughout the week.  She had a complete list of birds that have been spotted at that state park in the last year and she tried her best to see how many she could find.  She is getting really good at knowing the birds names!  I need to learn them now so I know what she is talking about when she says she saw such and such bird.  She is also taking a bird class for Monday school so she is learning a lot there too.  It was a lot of nature study this week, and life school being out at the campground.  We enjoyed much quiet, and beauty.  Here are some of the pictures that she took while out bird watching at the campground.

IMG_3470
This is the field behind where our trailer was.  She liked watching this box.
IMG_3469
I'm not sure if this is an eagle, but I did see an eagle flying pretty close to us over a nearby field one day.  It was awesome to see it so close to us.
IMG_3468
Some more bird houses visible from our trailer in the field.
IMG_3467
This is the perfect example of how tranquil and peaceful it was out there.  Loved being away from everything.  Love this picture that April took.
Places we're going and people we're seeing...not much this week except the usual lessons (horse, art, Monday school, etc.)

My favorite thing this week was...watching my boys have a little picnic breakfast with the kids tupperware set that I keep in the trailer.  They loved pouring the apple juice from the little pitcher.  I guess this is the boy version of a "tea party".  LOL.

 IMG_3464 IMG_3462 IMG_3463

I'm cooking...while camping I made chili (homemade), grilled chicken with yellow rice, and the rest was easy stuff like burgers, hot dogs, and s'mores of course.

I'm grateful for...our trailer that makes rainy day camping trips bearable.  That summer is almost here.  That things will get quiet for a few months.  That April has decided to do 4-H again next Fall.  That birthday season is starting here at our house, and everyone will be moving up a number (it's huge really, they are all so excited).  That I can watch my children grow up.  For pictures that bring back memories and remind me of the things we have done.  For bicycles, and that we all have one to ride.  Also for fun family bike rides.

I rewarded my kids this week by...taking them to Safari Sams to play.  It's a giant indoor jungle gym, and it was rainy at camp so we decided to do something fun.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share...  Serious AND silly...

IMG_3455
Our new shower curtain.  You know you're a homeschooling family when...  I'm certainly learning more about the table of elements everyday!
IMG_3472
Yes, stinker fits the description for all 3 boys!  

I'm linking this up to iHomeschool network.  To see other homeschool journals go here.

Desiree

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Ha! I want a shower curtain like that too! LOL How fun to go camping!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...