Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Tale of Peter Rabbit FIAR

We spent pretty much the whole month of April rowing The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter (five in a row).  Mostly because we included a lot of gardening activities, and actually used some of the time to get our own garden ready.  Plus, my boys just loved the book!  In fact, they are still wanting me to read it to them, and my 6 year old just started reading the book to me today!  We have also decided that we want to read all 23 books in our Peter Rabbit collection.  We've only made it through the first 3 I think.  I'm excited to just spend a day doing that.

There was a lot to go along with this book!  Not only were there some great lessons in the FIAR manual, there's tons of fun stuff online.  I had a hard time picking things which is also why we spent so much time on it.  The nice thing is, I think we are going to keep learning more about Beatrix Potter, and keep reading these books throughout the summer.

April surprised me by making a huge poster size copy of the first few pages of The Tale of Peter Rabbit.  She comes up with fun things like that sometimes.

IMG_3206

April montly calendar heading.  I made this for our preschool calendar with some peter rabbit clipart.  It was a nice addition to our month of Peter Rabbit.
 peterrabbitcalendar

 The Peter Rabbit calendar numbers from make learning fun were pretty fun too.
IMG_3199

 We located the UK, and put the story disk on the map.
 IMG_3173

Aric had fun making some puppets for the story.  These printables were also found at make learning fun.  I shrunk down the size of the character masks for printing, colored, and glued to popsicle sticks for puppets.
 IMG_3171

A dot to dot...(make learning fun)IMG_3170

A picture of the 2 copies we have.  The one in back is a copy I found at Goodwill a while back.  Then I ended up purchasing the set of the whole Peter Rabbit library from costco which is what the blue one is from.
 IMG_3169

A few games:  first, "hide the trowel" under the cabbage from Homeschool Creations gardening preschool pack.  Aric really liked this game.  I found it easiest to glue the cabbages to post its so they could just be flipped up and looked under.  Fun game!

IMG_3167
A IMG_3166

 Second game:  Peter Rabbit tic-tac-toe.  This was from make learning fun as well.IMG_3194

A Peter Rabbit craft that I created with Aric.
IMG_3251

Putting picture cards in order as we told the story.  I believe these picture cards are from the Five in a row fold 'n learn.
 IMG_3248

Aaron decided to make this picture of "Mr. McGregor's carrot" during some free painting time.
IMG_3239
Copy work by Aaron IMG_3235IMG_3236
Painting vegetables for Mr. McGregor's garden.  IMG_3205
IMG_3204

We made strawberries, turnips, peas, potatoes, carrots, and squash. (Idea for this project at Mrs. Lee's Kindergarden)
IMG_3378

Some other activities not pictured:



My boys also loved watching the Peter Rabbit tales in video too!  Did you know they have all the books on video?  I didn't until I stumbled across it on youTube.  Actually you can find every episode on youtube.  So, my boys watched quite a few of them.  Enjoy!


I don't think they'll forget this book anytime soon!
I'll be linking this up to Delightful Learning's FIAR vol. 2 link-up

Delightful Learning

Desiree

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful row! We had a hard time moving on after this row, too ~ I could have kept rowing! So fun!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...