Saturday, May 2, 2020

My Weekly Notebook

Life this week...

We just had another full week at home while we are still under stay at home orders during the coronavirus pandemic. Life goes on.

Homeschool this week...

I made a separate post about these I Spy worksheets, but I wanted to share the one we worked on this week. Coronavirus I SPY! We did it as a challenge this time to see who could finish first. Alex finished first with a time of about 19 minutes. He was stressing out the whole time though. Definitely not a relaxing thing for him to race to the finish. Some of these pictures on the I SPY page are great. It's a pretty good representation of life all around us right now.

Untitled

We had real live caterpillars that grew into butterflies a few weeks ago, so I had this worksheet in Alex's school work for a couple weeks. He finally picked it out to work on this week. Once he figured out how a crossword works, he loved it. Printed this Butterfly Crossword from Superteacherworksheets.com.

Untitled

This is another one that was in Alex's schoolwork file since Easter. He picked it for math one day this week. He's getting pretty good at addition. Also, another one from Superteacherworksheets.com.

Untitled

Helpful homeschool tips and advice to share...

Don't forget to make time for fun things. Especially right now during this pandemic. The days can get very monotonous trying to keep up with the daily tasks of being home all day. I'm going to try to get some fun things together for May the 4th (Star Wars day). Including some fun Nerf games. We also went through St. Patrick's Day and Easter during this pandemic and I really tried to make those holidays fun and a big deal as much as I could. I'm glad I did. We have some fun memories now. There doesn't have to be a holiday to make a day special. You can just pick a day and make it what you want! 

Places we're going and people we're seeing...

This used to be my favorite writing prompt! Other than the grocery store, we aren't going anywhere right now, and haven't for a few weeks. I never thought I'd see the day when this prompt was nearly empty.

My favorite thing this week was...

Finishing this cute little penguin craft for Alex while watching and finishing the 5th season of When Calls the Heart.



My kids' favorite thing this week was...

The boys each get a box from KiwiCo each month. This is the 2nd month for them to receive a box, and they were just as excited. This month Aric and Aaron's box was a pinball machine, and Alex's was a ballista launcher. As soon as they came in the mail they immediately started building for the rest of the afternoon...

Untitled
Pinball machine pieces.
The construction of the pinball machine was pretty complicated. This is a box for older kids, so that was to be expected. It took Aric a lot longer than Alex.

Untitled

The finished product was a real working pinball machine!


Alex's pieces all laid out and ready to build. I ordered the book that goes with his kit for $10 extra which brings it even with the older boys' kits. I love the quality of all the components of the Kiwico boxes.

Untitled

Alex was able to do most of this one on his own with some help at some points from me.

Untitled

The completed Ballista...

Untitled


Things I'm working on...

I'm making a house warming gift for a friend that just moved to Missouri from Oregon. Hoping it turns out good enough to actually give it to her.

Untitled

What we're reading...

Right now for a read-aloud, we are reading Fablehaven by Brandon Mull. But, a good picture book that I really enjoyed this week is this one, So You Want to Be President? I thought this one presented a lot of facts in a fun way. The focus is on certain things that presidents have in common and things the reader might have in common too that would make them a good candidate for a president too. We enjoyed this book.

Untitled

We are going to run out of library books soon. Actually, we kind of already have. Not sure what we'll read here pretty soon!

I'm cooking...

I made a chocolate Texas sheet cake this week. It was delicious. It was also attacked by teenage boys who apparently can't cut square. Stinkers. Actually, it was just one boy, and I've had a talk with him. Still a yummy cake!

Untitled

That about wraps up our week! How was your week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...