Sunday, April 16, 2023

My Weekly Notebook

 

Life this week... 

The Camellia flower was a cool part of our week. We were learning about them as the Alabama state flower, then one came home with us from Costco, and to top off the week we went to a Camellia festival about 25 minutes away on Saturday. At the festival we watched some Asian/Japanese culture drumming (because that's where the Camellia originated) and saw so many varieties of Camellias. Such a beautiful flower!

Untitled Untitled

Homeschool this week...

We're dabbling in Story of the World again. Volume 4 this time. This week we read about Britain's Empire and the Crystal Palace made for the Great Exhibition of 1851. Such an interesting chapter. I really like reading aloud to the kids from these books for history.

 Untitled

Mom-school this week... 

I started Mission Driven Mom Academy and continued working through it this week. I am really enjoying reading and listening to all of it. I am learning a lot about living a principle based life. It's an eye-opener. Sometimes I color while I listen to the recordings. I also take notes--there are so many interesting quotes and things I want to remember!

Untitled Untitled


Helpful homeschool tips and advice to share...

Find learning opportunities wherever you can! I really liked a blog post from The Wadlock Way about learning in many different situations. We have learned at amusement parks, and even while playing video games. I believe all learning situations only add value to our knowledge and make it so much richer.


Places we're going and people we're seeing... 

We saw The new Super Mario movie last Saturday with some friends. It is an awesome movie! Highly recommend! Alex even went to see it a 2nd time with a friend again today.

Untitled
We love to see movies at the Canby theater. I've never been in a crowded theater there, and it's definitely a cheaper one.

What we're reading...

We finally finished The Phantom Tollbooth this week. Excellent book, and very fun to read aloud. We also read a picture book about Queen Victoria's Bathing machine as suggested reading to go along with our Story of the World chapter. 


Untitled


Movies/TV we watched... 

We watched A Man Called Otto. Oh my! That was way more than I thought it would be for a Friday night flick! It was good, but it was a hard movie to watch. You'll definitely need the tissues!

Outdoor time...

We are so close to 100 hours! 96 hours as of Sunday night. I wish we were farther, but it's better than where we were last year. We went on zero hikes last week due to needing to get some work done for end of the term samples needing to be turned in. Hoping we'll get outside more next week.

Games we played...

I think we played a few rounds of Uno, but that was it. We need to get back to the games.

LEGO...

Some Easter fun. Aric got the Groot in his Easter loot and built it by Sunday evening. I built the Easter bunny in the basket just a few days before Easter, so this was our Easter display I guess.

 Untitled


I'm grateful for...

People who organize great field trips and learning opportunities for the various homeschool groups I am a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...