Saturday, January 19, 2013

Poetry


 A Child's Garden of Poetry


For some reason I stuck this in my netflix DVD queue a while back.  I think it may have been on a blog somewhere, and I thought it sounded really interesting.  In any case I'm so glad I did!  It was sitting in our mail pile on Monday morning, so we I decided to start our homeschool day watching it.  I just stuck it in, and didn't say a word about what I was putting in because I know the minute I mention the word POETRY to my children I would hear nothing but moans.  So, I stuck it in, and just let it play.  Within 5 minutes they were all watching.  It really drew them in, even the little boys.  I loved snuggling with them on the couch and watching this (especially on a Monday morning).  It was a perfect start to our week!  Especially since we had some other poetry activities planned for the week.  I have to admit I wasn't sure what to expect with this DVD.  It is so lovely though!  I especially love the little children that are describing poetry, so wise beyond their age!  I was very impressed.  There were 7 year old kids talking very intelligently about poetry!  Needless to say it is in my Amazon cart now, and I'm looking forward to having it in the house.  I highly recommend it as a great introduction to poetry for younger ones, but even so my 11 year old was watching it too.  It inspired her to write a few poems that day.
IMG_2776



One of the other activities I had planned was a poem from Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein called the Band-aid.  We read the poem and then I had a little band-aid activity.  I even let them use real band-aids.  The little boys liked the poem, and the band-aids.  They were to draw a picture and finish the sentence "Band-aid on my_______."


IMG_2777
Aric's interpretation of the poem "Band-aid" by Shel Silverstein.  He started out with "Band-aid on my eyes," then decided to put band-aids everywhere!  LOL.

April learned how to write a diamante poem this week also.  This was good for her since we haven't done much with poetry, and she seems to want to run the other way when I even mention the word.  She also had a good refresher on what exactly are verbs, adjectives, and nouns.  Can you guess what her poem was about?

A diamante by April

Horse
fuzzy, playful
galloping, jumping, prancing
yearling, stallion, mare, foal
trotting, cantering, riding
hoofed, cute
animal

I am loving poetry more and more.  I think we had a good start to our introduction to poetry this week.  We also went to the library and I gave them the assignment to find another poetry book that looks interesting to them.  We have a few to read this next week!  I think we might have some more fun with poetry over the next few months.

Desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...