Friday, March 8, 2019

Second Grade Complete Curriculum (A REVIEW)

HScomplete

I am always happy to find homeschool material that covers a wide range of subjects all in one complete program or unit study. With Homeschool Complete we got both! We got a Second Grade Complete all-inclusive subject program all centered around fun unit studies.

tableofcontents
A list of all the units in the Second Grade Complete curriculum
We received an electronic copy (to download) of the Second Grade Complete Semester 1 teacher's guide, and workbook for this review. Both downloads are several hundred pages long, so I printed what I needed as we got to each lesson, and that worked great. I might eventually print the whole thing up and put it in a binder, but I wanted to see how this curriculum worked for us first. So far, I really like it!

Untitled
A glimpse of the items we needed to get started for our very first lesson.
As for any unit study there are books to acquire, and a few items that need to be obtained before starting, but for the most part it's not very much. We needed to request a few books from the library, make sure my 2nd grader had a journal and a calendar for each day, and find/buy a few items for the art project. So it did take a little prep time before each lesson, but I love the simplicity of these unit studies, and I don't feel like I'm searching far and wide for ideas and ways to cover a topic. It's all laid out in each lesson.

IMG_3155
Some of the books we read for the first unit on Johnny Appleseed. I got the recommended books, and a few extras!
I had a friend (who is new to homeschooling) ask me recently how I make sure to cover everything. Like the months of the year, and days of the week, and simple things like that. I didn't have a cohesive answer for her, but I feel like this curriculum helps with that. It has a dedicated "calendar" time at the beginning of each lesson that includes calendar (months and days), weather, bible, and much more using songs, patterns, and repetition to reinforce the skills. This curriculum is also great for new homeschooling families because it lays everything out. What to say, how to teach things, and basically how to flow through the whole lesson.

Untitled
The calendar is pulled out every lesson for calendar time. The students are encouraged to put a sticker on each day, making a pattern of their choice.
One of my favorite things about this complete curriculum is the books. I love that it incorporates books into each lesson, reading all or just a part as we went along. Then the questions and activities all revolve around the book. There are even physical education suggestions that matched the book! For example Johnny Appleseed had "pin the apple" on the tree. Unfortunately we didn't get to that activity, but there are so many great activities to do.

IMG_3157

There's also art! My kiddo loves art, so this is always a must do part of the lessons for him. I love the simple, but unique art projects. For Johnny Appleseed he stamped apples with sponges cut into the shapes of apples. The instructions were to make patterns while stamping the apples, so that's what he did! Two pages worth!

Untitled
Stamping apples with sponges was an activity that I didn't realize he'd enjoy so much.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
The end result. Two pages of beautiful apple stamps to use in the next lesson for "pin the apple on the tree."
Homeschool Complete Second Grade really is an all-inclusive curriculum. It includes language arts, math, social studies, science, PE, fine arts (music too!), and character development/bible. One subject we really didn't use, but I love how it's covered in this is math. My 2nd grader was already doing a lot of math for another review, so we skipped that section. If we did all the parts of a lesson each day,  feel like we could just do that and call it a day for school for my 2nd grader. It simplifies homeschool so much!

There are also single unit studies and other grade levels offered by Homeschool Complete that other Homeschool Review Crew members received. See what they have to say by clicking on the banner below!



Homeschool Complete K - 4th Grade & Unit Studies {Homeschool Complete Reviews}
Crew Disclaimer

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate this review! I'm thinking of using this curriculum for my child too. Did you continue using it? If so, did you like it? If not, why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you @WildSugar! I did continue using it for a short time, but not fully because we had so many other things to work on. I would consider using it again for sure though.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...