Saturday, February 6, 2021

My Weekly Notes: WW2, LEGOs, and diamond painting

Life this week...

I can't believe we're already a week into February and I've not much to show for it. I didn't get a lot accomplished this week. In fact I had some tummy trouble most of the week. I just felt sick to my stomach. That was my only symptom. But, it had me just sitting and watching movies or lounging for a few evenings. It was odd. I don't know if it was something I ate or what. It seems to be gone now. Sure did mess up my goals for the week though!

Homeschool this week...

We started a study of World War 2 this week with a Homeschool in the Woods time travelers pack. Aric is studying WW2 in his co-op class, and they have to complete a timeline. This prompted me to search for this particular one from HSITW. I decided that since I was purchasing the pack for Aric to do this timeline that we'd just do the whole study at home and include Alex too. 

Untitled
Alex's WW2 timeline figures. He decided to color his.

Reviews we are working on... 

We started a Family Journal this week with our first meeting deciding what our family mission will be. Lets just say it was a loooong meeting. Hoping we can get better at doing this family meeting stuff through using the journal. Looking forward to sharing the review on it.

Helpful homeschool tips and advice to share...

Got the winter blues? Put up some Christmas lights or something that gives off some light to brighten up your homeschool areas. It's amazing how much it just brightens up our day when I plug these in.

  Untitled

Places we're going and people we're seeing...

  • We went to the snow last Saturday. You can read about that here
  • On our way home from co-op we saw this beautiful rainbow:

Untitled 

My favorite thing this week was...

Finding this beekeeper minifig. I picked one up at the store hoping it might be this particular one, and it was! To my surprise.

  Untitled

My kids' favorite thing this week was...

Alex really enjoyed his first diamond painting art project. He did the whole thing over 2 afternoons! I'm amazed that he finished it so fast. He said it was really satisfying.

Untitled

Untitled

Things I'm working on...

I have been collecting these LEGO Brick Headz sets for a few years now. I have filled up my little shelf in the hallway, so I have decided to take them all apart as sets to build again when they fit the decor of whatever season we are in. So, I am slowly taking apart each one, finding the directions, and sticking them all in a baggie. 

Also, I built my most current one for Valentine's Day. It's up on the shelf for Valentine's day and then I will probably take it apart too.

Untitled

I had never considered sorting the pieces until I saw in the directions at the beginning where the dude building was so confused with a big pile, and then he had sorted piles and had a big smile on his face. It cracked me up, so I tried it. It was so satisfying! Especially since one of my other projects right now is sorting ALL of our LEGO's in the "big bin." 

Untitled

The finished bear!

  Untitled

Random things the kids worked on...

Alex did a Colorku puzzle this week. He's really starting to get the hang of how Sudoku works!

  Untitled  

Something I accomplished...

I got Valentine's decorations out and up. Some of them. I am still missing a box of decorations somewhere in storage. At least I got some of them. That makes me happy.

What we're reading...

We have a whole new batch of library books that I've picked up this week. We still have to put books on hold to pick them up, so it's a struggle to keep books in stock at home that are fresh and what the kids want. 

Movies we watched... 

I am making my way through the Marvel movies from the beginning, so this week I was on Iron Man 2. I watched it with April and Aric. We watched a lot of other movies this week. It was a very movie heavy week with me not feeling the greatest and the weather just being crummy.

Games we played...

We didn't really play many games this week. We played Qwirkle on Friday night with a friend.


I'm cooking...

This was not a good week for cooking. I did find the best Pico de Gallo salsa around town though. I found a 3 lb bowl of it at a local grocery store called Mega Foods. I love Pico, and was so excited to find such a big container full of fresh stuff.


What's working/not working for us...

Winter is not working for me anymore. I'm ready for warm weather.

Questions/thoughts I have... 

How can I get excited about getting in the kitchen and cooking again? I want to make more homemade, but I'm just feeling so unmotivated to cook lately. I am hoping to get my cooking game going again by making some new treats. Just not sure how yet.

I'm grateful for...

Signs of Spring already. It helps me to keep going to see new signs of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...