Saturday, October 22, 2016

My Homeschool Mother's Journal: crazy Monday's, wrestling, and donuts

Life this week:

This week turned out to be a whirlwind of a week. We started out the week with a crazy Monday. Like things totally unexpected crazy. First the power went out early in the morning. Thankfully it was only out for about 30 minutes, but with the big storm we were having we weren't sure how long it would be. Then, later in the day I got a call from the storage where we have a unit, they wanted me to come check if there was water damage because the roof had blown off right above our unit. Sure enough there was water inside our storage unit, but thankfully it had only fallen where there were plastic boxes, or just on the ground. They offered for us to move to a different unit since they couldn't get the roof fixed until Friday. We decided to go ahead and move everything that evening in a break in the storm. It was just down the row, so it took only about 40 minutes with our whole family moving stuff. A bunch of other little things happened on Monday that made it just a wild day. The rest of the week was almost just as crazy, but more of the expected crazy.

(Home) School this week:

Alex had some great projects this week. First he learned about the first people, and how they made necklaces out of tusks or teeth. One of the projects on the page was to make a "tusk" necklace out of cork. He loved this, and ended up with a fun necklace. It took some time to drill out the cork so we could put string through it.

IMG_1391

He kept at it, and ended up with a neat little creation. He kept telling me while we were making these that he wanted to make lots of necklaces so he could sell them. Sounds like a little entrepreneur in the making!

IMG_1392

Another lesson he had this week was about the seasons. One of the projects was to make a poster with pictures of all the seasons. He chose to make trees just like in the book we were reading from (Usborne Children's Encyclopedia, I believe).

IMG_1388

He did a great job, and was very proud of his poster.

IMG_1389

Places we went and things we did:

It was kind of a last minute thing, but we decided to go to a homeschool art class down in Salem at a place called Young at Art. The 3 older kids got an art history lesson, and a canvas to re-create a painting from the artist that was talked about. The featured artist was Salvador Dali, and they painted a small part from the painting called The Persistence of Memory. I didn't have a camera, so no pictures of the actual painting part, but I have the end result! I think they all came out pretty neat.

IMG_1400
Left: April's Center: Aric's Right: Aaron's
 During their art time Alex did the open art gallery time. He made a bunch of circle pictures on the spin art machines. He pretty much did that half the time, and played with the sand the other half. No painting for him!

Untitled
Alex's circles on the spin art machines. They are pretty fun to look at.
Also this week the 2 little boys did wrestling camp at the high school. It was everyday for an hour. They both loved it and tore up the mat. I never got a good picture of them wrestling, Alex is in the yellow shorts in this picture below. This was on the tournament on the last day, and Alex won from his weight group.

Untitled

Something I accomplished this week:

I wrote review for KwikStix. The first one in a while, since I left the crew. I realized that I missed writing reviews. It helped me to realize that writing reviews is my way of giving back to our homeschool, and to the blogging community. Homeschooling takes a lot of money, and this helps our budget, but I also find great value in finding good products through reviews and I love to share what we've learned. I gave up a real good thing I had. I spent a lot of time reflecting on that this week. Hind sight seems to always be 20/20, right?


IMG_1398

Something fun this week:

We splurged and got halloween donuts from Krispy Kreme. Honestly they weren't all that great. I think we would have been happier with just some regular flavors, but it made for a spooky, fun treat.

IMG_1393

 Well, that wraps up our week! I am linking this up to Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers Weekly Wrap-Up.
Save

2 comments:

  1. Well, I just love those season trees. I think they are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great art! Love that necklace too! I used corks to make key chains once (the float)! the donuts look great...enjoy the week!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...