Sunday, May 26, 2019

My Weekly Notebook: birthday, United States, and Memorial Day

Life this week...

I think the biggest news for this week is that we now have another teen in the house. Aaron turned 13 on Friday, May 24. We didn't get a party together, so we gave him the choice of activity for the day. He chose to go to a movie. It ended up being with Dad and April because it was Captain Marvel, and we decided that would be too intense for the younger 2. That and they had a baseball game. We tried to talk him into seeing Aladdin, but that wasn't his thing.

IMG_5114

IMG_5117

IMG_5118
IMG_5119


Homeschool this week...

We started a year-long study of the United States, so I purchased this scratch off wall map. The boys are super excited to scratch off the states as we go through them. They can hardly wait to do the first one. Of course we didn't get to any of the states yet as this week was just an introduction to the US. We talked about Washington DC, the regions of the states, the flag, the pledge, the Statue of Liberty, and got their notebooks all ready.

IMG_5102

This was a hard assignment, but Alex made it! He wrote out all fifty states organizing them into regions. A little incentive might have been offered along the way, but after he got into it, he really enjoyed it.

IMG_5107

I also realized this week that we no longer have a globe. I took our old one to our co-op last year, and realized I never got it back. I had just forgot about it, and I think it might have walked away. It was old anyway as it still had the "USSR" on it. We needed a globe for a lesson, but I also like just having one around. So, I searched Amazon, and found this light up one. It's a bit smaller than usual, so it's perfect to fit on my sons desk, and it makes a great decoration too.

IMG_3246

Maps seem to be the theme for this week in our homeschool! I just love maps.

IMG_3247


Reviews we are working on...

I don't have any pictures, but right now we have just a few. First, we have Kingdom Code Kids. It's all about teaching kids how to save and earn money God's way. It's pretty cool. My kids are excited to start a little business of their own. We also have Lightning Literature 7, Dyslexia Gold, and a movie from Mill Creek Entertainment. Some fun stuff coming up!

Places we're going and people we're seeing...

Our plans for the holiday weekend were to go camping, but we had to cancel due to a broken water main at the campground. It probably could have been do-able, but we just weren't ready to rough-it that much. All other campgrounds were booked, so that means we get to be home for the weekend. So, we picked some other fun activities that we don't normally get to. It started yesterday (Saturday) with going to the Oregon Coast Aquarium for the opening day of their new exhibit Seapunk. It was a very rainy wet day at the coast, but we had fun. We didn't go out to the beach or anything because there was never a break in the pouring rain, and we just weren't prepared to get that wet. But we had a great time indoors and sometimes outdoors at the Aqauarium.

Untitled
Seapunk exhibit

Untitled
Seapunk exhibit

Untitled
Seapunk exhibit

Untitled
Seabird Aviary
Untitled
Passages of the deep
Untitled
Passages of the deep. This is Alex's favorite shark, the Leopard shark, I believe.
Untitled
Passages of the Deep
Untitled
Passages of the deep
Untitled
Another Leopard shark
This kid (Alex, pictured below) just loved the aquarium. He spent time looking at things, and just enjoying everything. I love that he loves going to places like this still.

Untitled
The touch pools

On our way home we stopped for some dinner at Happy Bibimbap House for some Korean food. It was our first time, and it was delicious.

Untitled


My favorite thing this week was...

Finding some red, white, and blue canvas bags at Target. I just love canvas bags. Maybe a little too much. I use them a lot. I bought some back to school ones last fall, and they have served me well, so I added to my collection with some new designs!

IMG_5106

My kids' favorite thing this week was...

Going to see Detective Pikachu on Monday this week. Then bowling with a friend after. They both said "best movie ever" after. It was way better than I thought it would be as a Mom who doesn't get excited about Pokemon at all.

IMG_5105
Waiting for Detective Pikachu to start

I'm grateful for...

I didn't get to my Thankful Thursday post this week (or the last week, or the last one...)...

I am grateful for someone in the family that likes to make beautiful cakes for us, even when she doesn't eat them.

That wraps up this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...