Monday, August 3, 2020

Our Weekly Notebook: pizza, Cars movies, and Chess

Life this week...

Not a real exciting week last week. April went into her follow up appointment from her kidney stone procedure to find out the giant stone is still there and she has to re-do the procedure. That was such a bummer for her. Other than that, it was life as usual for us. 

Helpful homeschool tips and advice to share...

I have had several friends say they are considering homeschooling or have already decided on homeschooling due to the pandemic. I even had the opportunity to impart some of my homeschooling "wisdom" to a friend this week (she asked!). I don't know if I helped her or overwhelmed her, but I like to think that I helped.

One piece of advice I gave to her when she said that the curriculum seemed so overwhelming is that she doesn't have to decide it all at once. If you aren't sure where to start, I suggest starting with math. Get that. Read books on many subjects until you figure out the rest. There's a lot out there, and if you buy the first one that looks good you're likely going to be changing some or all of it a few months into the school year. I also suggested to her to look at samples as much as possible to really get a feel for what the learning/lessons will look like.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...

One evening Alex asked at the last minute to go check out the little libraries in town. I had mentioned going to them, but we kept forgetting. He had the urge to go one night when he remembered, so we rounded up a few books and drove around to find them. 

Untitled

My favorite thing this week was...

Watching all the cars movies with the kids over the course of the week. Since April can't do a whole lot right now she asked if we could watch some Disney movies. We decided to make our way through the Cars movies (3 of them). We laughed. A lot.

Untitled

Things I'm working on...

I started a 4D puzzle. This one is actually from one of the boys' curriculum kits. But, it hadn't been touched yet, so I pulled it out for everyone to work on. It has 3 layers! We've never completed anything like it before.

Untitled

Random things the kids worked on...

Alex worked on beating me at chess. Many times. I'm not much of a challenge apparently. This is not my favorite game!

Untitled


Something I accomplished...

Laminating and cutting stuff out. It was tedious, but I'm glad we'll have these things ready to go for various things.

Untitled
Untitled
Movies we watched...

See above

I'm cooking...

We have pizza day usually on Sunday. Here are this week's pizzas.

All meat...

Untitled

Canadian bacon and pineapple...

Untitled

Combination...

Untitled


What's working/not working for us...

Nature sounds for relaxation is totally working for us.

Turning these nature sounds on at bedtime is really working well some nights. Our sleep pattern has not been the same since the start of the pandemic, both individually and as a family. There are lots of worries and sudden tummy aches at bedtime, so turning this on really helps all of us. Some nights its rain. Some nights it's the ocean. I also listen to these a lot when I'm working at the computer. It helps me to think and stay focused and less stressed.

Untitled

Questions/thoughts I have...

 Where is the time going? There never seems to be enough!

I'm grateful for...

Our backyard space. It may be small, but I'm thankful for a place to be outside that isn't far from home. Just a step out the back door!

Untitled

How was your week? Looking forward to the new one happening right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...