Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Stopping by Woods--A FIAR unit

stopping by woods
We had some fun exploring winter while rowing Stopping by woods on a snowy evening by Robert Frost. This is a beautiful poem, and I love how it is illustrated in this book. I had a hard time getting Alex to get excited about this book, but after a few days he was trying to memorize the poem right along with his brother.

image

Books:

I picked up quite a few poetry books, and books about winter from the library. I enjoyed reading more Poetry for Young People by Robert Frost, and the boys really enjoyed The snow globe family. It is a cute little story about a family that lives in a snow globe and longs for the big family to shake the snow globe so they can have a big blizzard.

image

So we made some snow globe art, and we used salt for a wintry affect.

IMG_9859
Aric's snow globe

IMG_9858
Alex's snow globe
We made some lap books from homeschool share. Alex is starting to enjoy lap books.

image

We read a little about Arctic animals in this book, One Small Square--Arctic Tundra. I just love these books. They are so full of great information and nature.

image

Alex learned the names of some animals found in Stopping by woods on a snowy evening. I wrote the name of the animal down, and he would copy it. These animal booklets are found in the homeschool share lap book.

image

Science:

We had a winter fair with our local homeschool group. I was in charge of a station, and we made these snowmen shooters. They turned out cute, but they weren't the most sturdy. I would find stronger cups next time.

image

We made some borax crystal snowflakes, of course.

image

The crystals started setting up pretty quickly!

image

The final snowflake came out pretty good.

image

Jingle Bells:

The third stanza from the poem reads...
"He gives his harness bells a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
The only other sound’s the sweep   
Of easy wind and downy flake."

So, we had some fun with the song Jingle Bells. It is often associated with Christmas, but it really is just about winter. Alex just loves this song, so he just loved this part.

image

He loved reading the words to the song, and did really well too! We made the booklet to put in his lapbook. Aric's job was to copywork the song.

imageimage

Then we had some fun with the hand bells. I found some sheet music with the colors of the bells so the boys could easily read it. They did pretty good. It is harder than it looks!

IMG_9848

They took turns, and helped each other a bit.

IMG_9847

IMG_9845

Snack:

We had a fun tortilla snack (as suggested in the homeschool share lapbook).

First we cut our tortillas to look like snowflakes...

IMG_9850

Then I warmed them up on my griddle. The directions suggested putting them into the oven, but I thought this would be easier.

image

The trick is to not leave them on too long! They will get too crispy. I didn't get a picture of the really good ones because they were gone so fast! Just this super crispy one.

IMG_9852

Stopping By Woods links and ideas:

Delightful Learning


6 comments:

  1. The snow globes are adorable! Love how you used One Small Square Arctic Tundra, and those handbells... super fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle for all your great inspiration too!

      Delete
  2. I love the snowglobes and snowflake tortillas! Also, the handbells look fun! I may have to invest in some. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling little paper snowglobes! Such a cute idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to you know that your posts was featured on my link up today. Hope to see you link up this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, and thanks for featuring me. We are currently working on Ping. I will link up when I have it posted!

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...