Friday, February 1, 2019

My Weekly Notebook

Life this week...

A lot of random conversations this week consisted of memories from our vacation to Disneyland, and I found myself daydreaming about it too. Actually, I've been daydreaming about ANY kind of vacation with sunshine right now. We've been asking the kids what kind of vacation they'd like to go on, and the answers have been really interesting. One just wants to stay home, one dreams of going to Paris, Greece, and other European hot spots. One wants to go to Universal Studios or Great Wolf Lodge, and one wants to go to Utah to visit a friend that just moved there. Well, none of those things are currently on the plan (and some might never be), but I did get a few camping trips finally in the books for this year! I am looking forward to getting away. Shhh...don't tell the kids because they might all groan in agony to hear that we are just going camping, for now. Also, did you know that January 29 was National plan your vacation day? I didn't, and that's the day I was booking our camping trips.

Homeschool this week...

This week Alex started up a new math program from Singapore math for a review. So far he is loving it. I love that it has hands on lessons, and books to go along.

Untitled

We read this book to go along with his math. He is currently learning about place value. We had a few fun games to play too. The full review will be in late February.

Untitled

The boys worked on their solar system project from co-op. We spent all last semester learning about the solar system, but didn't get to complete our models in class, so we did that part at home. They are still missing 3 planets because we had to paint those, but they are mostly complete.

Untitled

So, before we get a review item we have to decide if the curriculum/product being offered is something we want to try. When it's time we fill out a form, and express our interest in the item(s). Since this curriculum/vendor called Tied 2 Teaching was coming up on the list I decided to try a freebie out that they offer. It's a reading exercise about inventions. There are several pages/inventions to choose from. I chose to have the boys do the spinning wheel invention for a warm up today. It really helped me to see how much my boys just want me to give them the answers. I didn't, and even made them look up the word infer in the dictionary. A fun short way to get some facts!

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled



Reviews we are working on...

The new review year has officially started, and it is like Christmas right now. We are starting a lot of new reviews as we receive them. A few came in the mail this week including these 2 new books from Worthy Kids. Aric read the first 2 so he is excited for the next 2.

Untitled

Helpful homeschool tips and advice to share...


Need some new ideas or inspiration? I found this collection from the Review Crew Blog really inspiring. It's full of a lot of different homeschool related things. I didn't contribute this time, but I might in the future. It will be a once a month collection.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...

Aside from the usual places we didn't go out much. It was sunny and cold most days, so we got a walk in one day at Centennial park.

Untitled

Untitled



My favorite thing this week was...

Game night, and this new game we picked up at Walmart. It is a fun game of guessing/remembering the colors of little details in the Disney movies. Like the color of Buzz Lightyear's hood. Did you know it is purple? We didn't! We didn't realize it was until we found out the answer. The kids have loved this game, and we've played it several times this week.

Untitled

Untitled

We also played Tri-Ominoes for game night.

Untitled


Things I'm working on...

Organization. I feel like I am never done organizing, but right now I am still getting things organized and put away after the Christmas things were put away. 

Random things the kids worked on...

Aaron decided to make a homemade puzzle of the cat.

Untitled

I'm pretty excited to try it out. He came up with this idea and implemented it all on his own.

Untitled

How he is cutting the pieces...

Untitled

Aric made a Lego tic tac dispenser. He found the instructions somewhere online I believe.

Untitled



What we're reading and watching...

We just finished the audio for the book The Candy Shop War by Brandon Mull. The boys really loved it. Aric has already read the next book Arcade Catastrophe.

Untitled

I requested Gilligan's Island through our library, and we watched the first 2 episodes last night. The boys thought it was pretty funny.

Untitled

Some of our library stack right now...

Untitled


I'm grateful for...

All of the tools, curriculum, and supplies we have in our home for use in our homeschool. Also for the books available at the library too. I'm thankful for all the things that go into making our homeschool a great learning environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...