Thursday, January 8, 2015

A pine tree nature study

We explored some pine trees at a local park for a nature study one day in December.  I had pine trees in mind because of the recent Hemlock outdoor hour challenge.  I didn't know if there were any hemlocks here, but I did know there were lots of pine trees! And, it doubled as playtime because there is a fun playground to play on too!

IMG_7439

I let the boys play a while, then I called them over to gather some of the fallen pine branches with a promise that they could go back to playing.  They weren't so sure about it at first, but they obliged.

IMG_7435

I had them lay them out on the table, and we tried to sort them to see if any branches matched or were similar.

IMG_7437

Some looked like this...

IMG_7436

Most looked like this, with lots of pine cones on it.

IMG_7434

I didn't have a field guide on me, so I honestly didn't know what kind of trees they were.  We just had fun sorting by greens, and similarities.

IMG_7441

Then we started creating things with the branches.  I made this with Alex.  He loved making his name.

IMG_7442

It turned out kinda neat...

IMG_7444

Aaron decided to try and make a wreath...

IMG_7445

He used some smaller branches to tie the branches in a circle...

IMG_7446

He spent quite a while on it...

IMG_7447

He realized in the end thought that he needed something better to tie with.  It kind of fell apart when he picked it up.  It was pretty neat though!

I came home and did some research to figure out what kind of pine trees we were looking at. I'm pretty sure most of the branches we were looking at were from Douglas Fir trees. Their cones and soft needles being my biggest hints. 

IMG_7653

 Desiree

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...