Friday, May 5, 2017

Cinco de Mayo

We've lived in Woodburn for almost 12 years, and have only went to the Cinco de Mayo community celebration once before. It was when April was in Kindergarden (she's 10th grade now), and we never went again. Mostly because I didn't know it was a public thing. When we went that year it was a field trip for her class, and I went as a chaperone. I never thought about going again, but this year they had signs everywhere for it, and we had planned as a homeschool group to go. So we went! It was pretty neat, and helped me to appreciate some of the culture we have here in our little town.

There were several groups of children that danced...

Untitled

The teachers did a few dances, and that gal in the white dress below is our neighbor! It was fun to see so many familiar faces. Alex was so tickled to see so many of his friends from Nellie Muir school there as they still have the K-1st grades come to this event for a field trip on Cinco de Mayo.

Untitled

All their dresses were so pretty!

Untitled

 The Woodburn high school Mariachi band played. That's the first time we've ever seen them play!


 I thought these dresses were pretty...


After the music and dancing there were vendors, and yummy food stands. We had some street tacos, mexican corn on the cob, quesadilla, horchata, and the wheel things (I can't remember what they are called). It was all so yummy! I didn't even get any pictures because we were just enjoying everything.

And then, to finish the day, we had stuffed mexican shells for dinner with Spanish rice. The shells were delicious, but the Spanish rice was a flop. I just can't get Spanish rice down. I've tried so many times. Here is the link for the stuffed mexican shells. This is one of my favorite recipes. I've made it several times over the past few years, and they never disappoint!

Untitled

 It was a fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...