Thursday, August 24, 2017

Family Chore system (a REVIEW)

Everyday Homemaking

I have thought about implementing a chore system for years, but never really got around to figuring it out. I always just end up assigning random chores, or find other random methods I read about and hope to start implementing, but they're too complicated. I've really just needed a simple way to communicate what I need done each day to my children. That's where The Everyday Family Chore System by Vicki Bentley from Everyday Homemaking comes in. When this review came up I happened to already own a copy of her old version cookbook (the new version is being reviewed by the crew right now too), and loved how simple it was, so I thought I should definitely see what her chore system is about too. I was excited to learn that it is just as simple and straightforward as her cookbook.

The Everyday FAMILY Chore System

I received an e-book version of the Chore System, and chose to print it up, so I could have a hard copy. I quickly read through it in just a day to get the full idea of what she was talking about, but will probably go back through to highlight things I need to remember. It is super easy to follow. Basically there are three parts to this book: Part one--laying the foundation, Part two--Implementing the plan, and Part three--the actual chore system. It really is short and sweet and to the point.

Part One: Talks about the why's. Why is training children so important? Why should we bother when we can get it done faster? What can we expect of our children? What are the age appropriate expectations?

Untitled

Part Two: This is where I started really getting some great ideas. She talks specifically about ways to delegate/assign specific chores including daily and weekly tasks. She provides a very nice checklist of life skills and the ages they should be learned. This is also where the suggestions for the actual "set-up" of the chore system are laid out. I chose to follow her first suggestion pretty closely and made a pretty little board for the clips.

Part Three: This is where the printables are. This is where the actual "system" is laid out ready to print, cut, and use in your way. Included in this section are How-To-Do-It cards, and Job labels. The how cards contain specific instructions for many common household jobs so that the children can know exactly what needs to be done.

As I was reading I realized how simple it could be to just make a board for our chore assignments. I originally set out to make it with a matboard (as Vicki suggested), but I couldn't find anything that would be sturdy enough at a local store, so I picked up this black chalkboard sign instead.

IMG_2517


In the book she suggests writing the names on the board so that chores can be clipped next to each name. I wrote the names on my board with a paint pen because the chalk didn't show up on this board real well. I also cut and laminated all the job cards.

IMG_2518

The end result.. A nice board with our family chores. This turned out to be a fun little project. I have it hanging in the kitchen where it is easy to see, and remind us all what the children are supposed to be doing. I haven't decided how often I want to rotate these chores. I really like the idea of keeping certain jobs for a month. I still have some tweaking to do with this system, but that's the beauty and simplicity of this book. You can follow her suggestions, but still do your own thing. She has so many great ideas and jumping off points to get you going. I found it very inspiring.

IMG_2532

Want to give this book a try with a little discount? Now through labor day (September 5, 2017) you can receive 10% off. Just use the code TOS10books after you have added your book(s) to the cart.

I really found this book to be useful and inspiring. The cookbook is great too. If you want to go read some reviews of the cookbook as well as more reviews about the chore system you can click on the banner below.



Everyday Cooking and Chores Systems for your Family {Everyday Homemaking Reviews}

Crew Disclaimer

2 comments:

  1. I love your chalkboard idea! And I hope the how-to-do-it cards help streamline things in your home. Thanks so much for reviewing the system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out great! We do a monthly rotation of chores here, which I like because it's easier to keep track of and gives the kids a better chance at refining their skills at each task.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...