Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Veritas Press: Phonics Museum (A reveiw)

Veritas Press


I've tried a lot of reading/phonics programs through teaching four kids to read. The ones that always stick the best are the ones with videos or games. When I was given the opportunity to try the Phonics Museum App from Veritas Press I wasn't sure my 6 year-old really needed it because he's already reading most words, but what I realized is that he needed more of the actual phonics practice because he isn't sounding things out real well. This program helped him to listen to the sounds better.

Veritas Press Phonics Museum

What is this?

It's an app available from itunes App store. It is designed to work on both iphone or ipad. I was able to put it on both, and it would keep it updated where he left off, but we had to log out and log back in to find his place.

Veritas Press Phonics Museum

How does it work?

After you download the app to an i-device it's time to add the child, and create a login. After that is done the child is ready to start playing. All the characters are introduced, and there are games to play, lessons to learn, little video clips to watch, and books to read. There is a clear path that the child will take throughout the app. After they finish one activity or clip the next one unlocks, and there is an icon to tell them if it is a game or video. There is also an area for free play where there are games and songs to play freely, though some are locked there are many to play including tracing and practicing the sounds they've already learned.

Veritas Press Phonics Museum

How did we use this?

I have to admit my 6 year-old son didn't love it at first. It took some pushing on my part to get him to play it a few times until he eventually did love it. He was not big on the songs or games because he is on the older end of the range for this app. Like I said he's already reading mostly, so he might have thought this too easy at first. But, after he played it a few times he started enjoying the songs and games, and it got more interesting for him. The lessons are engaging, the colors and images are fun, and the characters are interesting including Percival the talking suit of armor.

Veritas Press Phonics Museum


What did I think?

I really love this method of teaching reading. The idea that children are learning letters AND sounds through fun and engaging lessons and games is a benefit, especially for my busy boys who don't always love learning to read. The quality of this app is impressive. I didn't really have any issues with the app itself, and it all ran very smoothly. The voices are clear, and that's so important with the forming of the letter sounds. So far there hasn't been any questions as to what sound the narrator was making when matching letters to sounds. Unfortunately, I won't have any more little ones that can use this after my 6 year-old is done. I would have loved to have this years ago when my older boys were learning to read. They would have loved it too.

Veritas Press Phonics Museum

You can try this app out for 2 weeks free to see if you like it first! I always love having the opportunity to try something. After that you will have to purchase a membership of $9.99/month, with the ability to cancel anytime. Or, you can purchase a whole year for $98.99. The app will be good for up to 3 children.

If you'd like to see what others had to say about this app, click on the banner below!

Phonics Museum App {Veritas Press Reviews}

Veritas Press can also be found here:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/veritaspress/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/veritaspress/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/veritaspress/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/veritaspress  @VeritasPress

Crew Disclaimer


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...