Sunday, February 11, 2018

My weekly notebook: fleas, cursive, and hiking

Life this week...

Fleas. Our cat has fleas, and I learned that I cannot use those harsh chemical treatments. I've done it twice now, and both times I have reacted very severely (burning hot rash all over, racing heart). It wasn't fun, and I even used gloves the second time. I think just breathing that stinky stuff did it. Makes sense because that is how it gets to the fleas. Had to take Benadryl to calm down.  So, I'm looking for natural ways to get rid of fleas now. So far I've learned (from a quick internet search) that apple cider vinegar, dawn soap, and lemon all work to help get rid of them (not at the same time, of course). They don't keep them away, but we'll be trying some things out next time, and probably weekly to keep them away. I'd love some tips if you have any!

Homeschool this week...

We worked on a lot of review items this week mostly because I have signed up for a lot of great ones. See next heading.

Reviews we are working on...

We started CursiveLogic this week, and it might be my favorite right now. Not only is my 4th grader learning cursive, but I get a book too. I am having a lot of fun learning this method in my book, brushing up on my cursive, and coloring too! Full review coming in early March!

Untitled

Drive Thru History Adventures is another we are reviewing right now. We are making our way through the American History episodes. The boys enjoy this one a lot. Review coming later this month (Feb.).

Untitled



Helpful homeschool tips and advice to share...

Find peace in the simple things in  your homeschool. This is something I'm really trying to keep remembering. A simple lesson is great. A simple worksheet, call it good.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...

We spent a morning finding some local geocaches here in our little town of Woodburn. This picture below is one that is behind the outlet mall. Aaron is really getting into finding them right now.

Untitled

We also went on another Mom and Me Monday hike. This was a neat place called Basket Slough National Wildlife Refuge. I will do a separate post with all the cool pictures from this hike, but here is one that I really liked. It was a nice day.

Untitled


My favorite thing this week was...

Going to the Bob's Red Mill factory for a tour. I love how much gluten free stuff Bob has!

Untitled

My kids' favorite thing this week was...

Starting music lessons at home. April is teaching Aaron to play the ukelele, and Aric the cello. Alex is starting piano with Hoffman academy. It's so fun to hear all the instruments being practiced each day.

Untitled

I didn't get any pictures of him on the piano for his lesson, but here he is playing a game to help him learn piano theory. He's got Hot Cross Buns down pretty good!

Untitled

Things I'm working on...

Catching up on some blog posts for the alphabet and 52 lists!

Random things the kids worked on...

Slime. There is an obsession with making slime in this house right now. We've had several batches made over the last few weeks. This was a foamy slime, made by Aric, that turned out pretty cool. Aaron has been experimenting with different ways to make it too.

Untitled


What we're reading...

We are reading Valentine's books. We have no library books right now, and haven't been to the library in too long. So odd for us, and I realized we need to pick some books for this week to focus on so we'll be heading to the library Monday or Tuesday.

What's working/not working for us...

Not having enough time to get through all we need to do each day is not working. But something that is working is not having to go to a co-op each week. I do love all the time we now have at home with no co-op to go to anymore.

I'm grateful for...

Good car insurance.

Homeschool Review Crew Weekly Link Up

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about the flea issue. I can ask my daughter if she has any suggestions - she is a Vet Tech. A tour of Bob's Red Mill sounds like so much fun :) A great week and I agree that I am grateful for car insurance, too.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...