Friday, March 2, 2012

stART: a story and art

 



The book we read was "Start saving, Henry!" by Nancy Carlson.  This is Aaron's favorite book right now, and one of the few that he really shows great interest in.  He is always trying to find ways to earn money, and save it.  I think he relates to the character in this book  a lot who finds a toy he really wants at the store, but has to save his allowance for it.  So, for the craft we made duck tape wallets.

P2230263
Aaron has this book memorized, so he read it to us.  He cannot yet read, but he knows it by the pictures, and maybe a few of the words.  So, he wanted to read it to everyone.
P2230259

He loves duck tape!  It took me a while to figure out what kind of craft to do with this book, and the duck tape was perfect.  He has been trying to figure out what he can make out of duck tape for a very long time.  I had heard about duck tape wallets, so I googled it for some directions.  Sure enough, I found some basic ones on wiki-how I think.

We started with some favorite duck tape, and layered it to make a panel.

P2230265

The instructions said to make the panel 7"X10" high, but it turned out to be too tall.  It would have been better at more like 7"X6" because we ended up with really deep wallets.
P2230266
Here is Aric's finished wallet.  Like I said, they ended up too tall after we folded the panel in half.
P2230267
But, they were still happy.  Here's the inside of Aric's.  I made a few pockets for him, and gave him some old cards to play with.
P2230269
In the process we also learned the dimensions of a 1 dollar bill.  I think it was 6"x 2.5".
P2230270
This one is Aaron's completed wallet.  He is showing the inside of the wallet here.
P2230271
And, the dollar bill inside...wayyyyyyy down there.  We've got deep pockets, but not necessarily all the money to fill those deep pockets :-)
P2230272

Desiree

I'm linking this up to A Mommy's Adventure's:

1 comment:

  1. That looks like a great book and I love the project they made to go with it. Thank you for sharing and linking up to stART!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...