Wednesday, March 23, 2016

weekly wrap-up: Pi day, St. Patrick's day, and Easter!

Life last week...

The week started out with Pi day. This was all I muster as far as food. We had Marie Calendar's Chicken pot-pie's. It wasn't even homemade, but it was good still. I also read Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi math adventure to the children, and April wore her "TGIPi day" shirt. I didn't get pics of those things, but wanted to record that we did actually have some other pi fun that day.

image

Books...

We've done a lot of listening lately. I decided I was in the Harry Potter mood, and the only way I'd get through them is to listen. Then I thought, maybe all the kids would enjoy listening to all the books. So, I found a copy on CD's at Silverton library. We decided to make the trek over there since I wanted to start with them right away. We are coming up on a lot of time in the car with April's Shakespeare rehearsal's starting up, so we need something to do in the car. While we were at the Silverton library the boys found a few new playaways that we hadn't seen before.  They picked up Curious George, and Danger in the Darkest Hour. They love having their own personal audio books. They traded the books back and forth several times.

image

image

School last week...

I started off the week right by having all of the kids' weekly lesson plans ready. I have decided to keep track of all the review stuff each child needs to be working that I needed to have a program that lays it all out for the week. I have gone back and forth with lessontrek all this school year. I used it, then I didn't, then I did, then I didn't, and now I'm back with it. But, something clicked this time, and now I really like it! It is so much easier to just get everything laid out for the week.

image

image

One of our reviews coming up is Times Tales. We've been trying to find some creative ways to memorize times tables. Both boys worked on some of those worksheets.

image

Aaron has some testing coming up that will require him to know the keyboard, so the teacher encouraged some typing practice at home. He suggested Typing.com, and we gave it a try, even though we have 2 typing programs. It has been pretty fun for both the older boys. They have progressed pretty far in a short time.

IMG_0121
Typing.com
 Preschool happenings...

Alex has a math book by Memoria Press called his Numbers Book. I happened upon it at Exodus books one day, and fell in love with it. I love its simplicity, and Alex loves working in it. He is about halfway through it already.

image

Here is a page he worked on last week. I was amazed at his ability to copy my letters to spell out the number words. He wanted to do this, which is even better. I even suggested that he skip this page for later, but he insisted. He worked very carefully on the whole thing. I was very impressed.


image

For co-op we had a Easter/St. Patrick's day theme since both holidays were coming up before we'd meet again. They made Shamrocks and sheep. They all turned out so cute. Alex loved his little sheep.

image
There is a story about this shamrock that is "to Aric from Ada". Ada is a little girl that goes to our co-op, and she is very afraid of my son Aric. Why is she afraid of Aric? Because he hisses at her. I've talked to him about it, but he just won't stop. So, Ada asks me every week, "why does Aric be mean to me?" I tell her that he is making bad choices, and that I've tried telling him, but he's not being very obedient. So, I asked her what she thought we could do to help him be nice to her. I really wish I could just make him stop, but he ultimately has to make that choice. Anyway, I suggested maybe she could show her love to him instead of being scared. She came up with the idea to make him a shamrock right then, and wrote I love you, and gave it to him. I could tell he really liked it, even though he wanted to be all "manly" about that mushy love stuff. I hope it helps him think twice about how he behaves with Ada. It was a really sweet thing from Ada too.

The whole flock of sheep from our class. They turned out so cute! I was thankful for my class helper who brought this craft.

image

I brought all the stuff for the shamrocks. We just had a fun time making these. And, used a lot of glitter glue!

image



Alex started a new typing, reading, and writing program this week. It's a review item, so I won't go into a lot of detail yet, but he loves this! I think this will really help him on his way to reading as well.

image
He has all  his fingers in the right place!
image

Easter fun...

We had a fun Saturday with Grandma and Grandpa at their church Easter egg hunt and pancake breakfast. The boys are waiting patiently to eat some grub before the hunt...

image

The junior primary got to search the big field, and the senior primary kids (8-12) had to look in the bushes around the building. Alex was just lovin' this.

image

The weather was so beautiful too!





image

image
image
image

ItLinking this up with weekly wrap-up at Home to 4 Kiddos.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...