Wednesday, May 26, 2021

LEGO ABCs: H is for Harry Potter

It's time for the Letter H this week! I'm excited to share what we built this week, but first lets talk about last week's posts. If you haven't yet, you should visit the link-up to see all of the Letter G posts from last week, they are all good reads. I keep saying it every week, but I'm learning a lot! I'm learning more about the American civil war, composers, homeschooling tips and advice, and so much more. Here are a few of the posts just to give a glimpse.

Featured posts from last week's Letter G:

HisHarryPotter

This week I chose for the Letter H LEGO build, Harry Potter. This was an easy decision as we have many Harry fans in this house, and many old sets to choose from. We also have so many minifig characters. I just love minifigs and their personalities, and the ones from HP are just so fun.

Just a note: I know there are some who do not like the Harry Potter books or anything to do with magic, and I completely understand that. And I understand if you choose not to read this post. Please come back next week though!

To kick off our Harry Potter LEGO week we pulled out one of our old LEGO games, Harry Potter Hogwarts. It's one we've had for years. I think April got it for a Christmas or birthday present probably about a decade ago. Surprisingly we haven't played it for many years. It was like a new game to us, and it was pretty fun. It took some time to prepare though as there were several missing pieces. Thankfully they were pieces that I was able to salvage from our LEGO bins. Once it was together we played! It was just me and the 2 younger boys, but lots of laughter and silliness ensued as with any game.

harrypottercollage
Harry Potter game collage

There were a lot of unique little game pieces, and I just loved these little mini-minifigures. I think that's what they're called? They're not a normal size minifgure. Just tiny little things.

Untitled

Building the game was fun, but I also wanted to pull out one of our old Harry Potter sets and rebuild it. I decided on Hagrid's Hut: Buckbeak's Rescue since most of the pieces were already mostly in a bin. I only had to chase after a few lost pieces. Thankfully I found them all, even the lost minifigs.

Untitled
I dug out the instructions from our bin of old instruction manuals

I pretty rebuilt this on my own. I kept asking the boys if they wanted to build it, but they were just not interested. Although they enjoyed watching me build it. And, Aric (whose set this was) was helpful when I had questions about where pieces might be. Sometimes I enjoy the solitude of just building on my own. I can turn on some of my own YouTube, or listen to books. It's a great way to have some time to myself.

Untitled

One night I built by myself in the LEGO room (aka the boys' room), and the next night I brought it out to the living room and built while we watch a Star Wars together.

Untitled

The end result! I love all the details. Especially the pumpkin patch.

IMG_4675
Hagrid's Hut: Buckbeak's Rescue

The minifigs...

IMG_4676
Harry, Ron, and Hermione

IMG_4677
Hagrid and Buckbeak
IMG_4678
The executioner and the Minister of Magic
IMG_4667
The inside of the hut

The details inside the hut are fun. There's a spider, a desk, a treasure chest (which has a chocolate frog I believe), and window and a door.

IMG_4668

On the other side there's all kinds of tools hanging up on the ceiling, a large comfy chair to sit in, and a table with a tea kettle.

IMG_4669

But my most favorite detail in this set is the light up fireplace with Hagrid's dragon egg by it. To light up the fireplace a button up top has to be pushed. It's pretty cool to look at, especially when it's darker.

IMG_4672

One last thing to share for this week is our Wii time. I pulled out an old Harry Potter LEGO game for our Wii. I even had to dust off the Wii! It hasn't been used for a while because we have newer game consoles. I had fun playing this with Alex (age 10). He was thrilled that I wanted to play with him. Little does he know how much I used to play my old Nintendo when I was his age! 

IMG_4681
Wii Harry Potter game Years 5-7

We had fun watching the characters and seeing where the game took us. We were also surprised at how the graphics look to us now compared to when we first got it. These aren't as crisp as some of the games we play now! And we used to think this was really good.

Untitled

Sometimes I like to put one of these YouTube videos on in the background while I'm doing stuff. It's fun to watch these huge sets being built. They are speed builds, and they are set to fun music. This is a set that we can only dream about getting, the Hogwart's castle.


That's about it for the letter H! Thanks for reading/looking at all of our builds this week.

Now it's your turn to share! Please join co-host Chareen and me as we blog through the alphabet and link-up below:


Image from Flickr copy mainabcimage

**Rules for linking up:
  1. Your post must be family-friendly. We have the right to remove any posts that are inappropriate. 
  2. When linking up you agree to give us permission to share your post or a photo in any future blog posts and social media shares. 
  3. Please link back to the host or co-hosts blog, and use the image if you want. 
  4. If you can, check out a few other posts in the link-up and leave some comment love. 
  5. Please, make sure your posts relate to the alphabet or blogging through the alphabet in some way. Evergreen content (past posts that relate) is also welcome. 
  6. The link-up will be available for one week for each letter. 
  7. Last of all, have fun. If you can’t join for one week, don’t stress. Just join next time, and enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I mostly have enjoyed the Harry Potter series. I do not like all the decisions made by the author in regards to the characters but they are her characters and she can do what she wants. I think the Lego figures would help make the stories better b/c you can continue the story however you want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree about the decisions made. I wish it could have just been left alone. That is a fun idea with the minifigures!

      Delete
  2. we have a few Harry Potter lego sets in our collection as well. All those spiders....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that light up fireplace is really neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too. It really warms up the whole build.

      Delete
  4. My youngest loves Legos and Harry Potter are some of her favorites. I think her favorite of what she has is the quidditch field.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...