Wednesday, August 25, 2021

LEGO ABCs: T is for Tensegrity

Welcome to the Letter T of Blogging Through the Alphabet series! I'm very sorry for getting this up so late today. I just wasn't prepared to have it up today. You know how life can get, things always come up! So this week, I will be sharing a fun thing to do with LEGOs called Tensegrity, and my co-host Chareen will be talking about Teaching From Rest by Sarah Mackenzie. And, I hope you enjoy all the other link-ups this week from others for the letter T!

Tistensegrity

I first heard of making  LEGO tensegrity at Frugal Fun for Boys and girls when she shared some fun to make LEGO Tensegrity Structures on her blog. I thought it looked way fun when I first saw it, and then when it came time to make one for this post I got really intimidated. It seemed complicated, and I wasn't sure I had all the right pieces (one of the reasons this post is late, I was trying to think of something else to do for the letter T). But, when my time was up and I didn't have anything else to do for T, I decided I should just try it. It turned out to be easier than I thought! If you can, look at some of these pictures and YouTube videos in this article: LEGO Tensegrity is taking the AFOL World by Storm! There are some great examples and fun videos to see these in action.

IMG_4812

So, using some examples from the above-mentioned sites, I got the pieces out and set out to make a tensegrity structure. I lucked out and found just enough LEGO chains in our collection to make one. I thought we had more chains, but we didn't. I guess I could have figured out how to use string, there are a few that I've seen with string. I asked Aric to make the airplane on top, and he did pretty well with that. It fit perfectly on the top.

IMG_4815

The boys thought it was pretty cool when they saw it. It was actually pretty fun and easy to do once I got started. I wish I had more chains so we could do more. It's kinda fun to look at too. It looks like it defies all laws of physics, but it doesn't!

T is for Tiles:

I just got these this week! I am excited to have letters to use on our baseplates for signs or on our creations. I am also pleased to have the storage bag that came with them.

Untitled

These are going to be fun. I will probably use them mostly for signs/sayings in our LEGO display. 

Untitled

So many letters to choose from! 

Untitled

There are even symbols like this heart, and punctuation!

Untitled

T is for Take apart:

One last thing for the letter T today...taking LEGO sets apart. I actually kinda enjoy doing this. The picture below are all the sets slated to be taken apart. We are out of room on our shelves, so the old ones need to be taken down. I will store them in baggies until someone wants to rebuild them. Both of my boys have a hard time with this, but we do not have infinite space. Unfortunately. So, I put on a show to watch and take them apart one by one.

Untitled

That's all for our LEGO fun this week! Thank you for reading and joining us!

Now it's your turn to share! Please join co-host Chareen and me as we blog through the alphabet and link-up below:


To see what others shared last week, visit the Letter T blogging through the alphabet post.


Letter T mainabcimage

**Rules for linking up:
  1. Your post must be family-friendly. We have the right to remove any posts that are inappropriate. 
  2. When linking up you agree to give us permission to share your post or a photo in any future blog posts and social media shares. 
  3. Please link back to the host or co-hosts blog, and use the image if you want. 
  4. If you can, check out a few other posts in the link-up and leave some comment love. 
  5. Please, make sure your posts relate to the alphabet or blogging through the alphabet in some way. Evergreen content (past posts that relate) is also welcome. 
  6. The link-up will be available for one week for each letter. The Linky party is scheduled to go live at 2pm every Wednesday.
  7. Last of all, have fun. If you can’t join for one week, don’t stress. Just join next time, and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea what tensegrity was so thank you for linking the other post to read up on it. I don't believe we have any chains to try this with but it sure looks like fun to try. Taught me something new with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know what tensegrity was either. It's really neat!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...