Wednesday, April 28, 2021

LEGO ABCs: D is for Display and Donuts

Here we are the 4th week of blogging through the alphabet. Thanks to all who have participated these first few weeks. I have loved reading your posts. If you're thinking about joining us, please do! We'd love to have more fun ABC posts. This week is the letter D. Co-host Chareen will be posting about Delight Directed Learning and I will be talking about our LEGO displays and LEGO donut creations. 

I realized recently, from my boys' comments, that they were kinda discouraged about purchasing and making nice LEGO sets because they were worried about them getting destroyed or pieces getting lost. That's when I decided we needed to get more organized and have some space dedicated to their creations. They all share a room, so there's not a ton of space in their room, so it has to be in a different place in the house. We also don't have a lot of space in the house, so it had to be whatever was clear like the mantle or the top of a shelf. But, recently we found a shelf that could be cleared and used for LEGO creations, and a space became available in the living room too. It looks pretty awesome and gives the boys a place to proudly display.

IMG_4553
Our new LEGO display makes me smile

Each shelf has a little bit of everyone's builds...

IMG_4554
The Dots and Cinderella sets
IMG_4555
Alex's Hamburger Truck set
IMG_4556
One of Alex's space shuttles (he has 3)
IMG_4557
Aric's Harry Potter sets
IMG_4558
Alex's space station with another of his space shuttles
IMG_4559
Alex's Minecraft sets
IMG_4560
A shelf for books and unfinished sets.

This of course will have to change over time. I've told the boys that they need to start taking the sets apart and storing them in ziploc bags when they get new sets so we can display new ones. 

We also have a tiny little display and storage in their room. This is where all the free buildng LEGO's are stored and the top of the shelves have a little are to display current things being worked on. It's where they keep their current Mindstorm robots that they are working on and a few other odds and ends. And, yes, our LEGOs are sorted by color. We have been working for about the past year or so (when the pandemic started) to get our big bin of LEGOs sorted. It is so nice to be able to look for the exact color we need.

  IMG_4551 IMG_4552

So, honestly I was kinda stumped on D, and running out of time to build some of the extravagant things I was thinking of. I thought a "display" post would be boring, and didn't really accomplish my goal of building something new with the kids each week. Each time I asked Alex if he could think of something to build that starts with the letter D, he said donut. I just wasn't sure we could pull donuts off. Well, Tuesday morning we just gave donuts a try. They didn't come out perfect, but I think they are definitely worth mentioning. We also had a good time building these together. Alex built his favorite, glazed with pink frosting and sprinkles (he gets this when we go to a certain donut place). It's really hard to get a round donut with LEGOs! Especially with the pieces we had available. I built a maple bar with some sprinkles too. Because sprinkles are fun.

IMG_4561
Alex's glazed donut with pink frosting and sprinkles
IMG_4562
Maple bar with sprinkles. I don't think I've ever had a maple bar with sprinkles, but I wanted it to look more like a donut. 


That wraps my letter C post for Blogging through the alphabet! Please join co-host Chareen and me as we blog through the alphabet and link-up below:


Also, I have updated my last post C is for Creation with the 3rd and final build of that set if you'd like to
see how that one came out.

LetterD mainabcimage

**Rules for linking up:
  1. Your post must be family-friendly. We have the right to remove any posts that are inappropriate. 
  2. When linking up you agree to give us permission to share your post or a photo in any future blog posts and social media shares. 
  3. Please link back to the host or co-hosts blog, and use the image if you want. 
  4. If you can, check out a few other posts in the link-up and leave some comment love. 
  5. Please, make sure your posts relate to the alphabet or blogging through the alphabet in some way. Evergreen content (past posts that relate) is also welcome. 
  6. The link-up will be available for one week for each letter. 
  7. Last of all, have fun. If you can’t join for one week, don’t stress. Just join next time, and enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I only recently became aware of the lego dots and think they make an excellent addition to the bricks.

    You have some serious brick building skills between you all! Well done. I love the display and seeing the creativity.

    I agree building something round out of lego is difficult. I've never even tried! I checked on YouTube there are some great ideas...

    I really liked these two Build a BFDI Donut and LEGO donuts - tutorial. You've inspired me to give it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love the Dots sets. I suppose I could have done that for the letter D, but I didn't have any new ideas to make it interesting.

      Thank you for those links! I should have thought to look something up! Glad it inspired you!

      Delete
  2. I have to figure out how to store our kids' Lego sets. We do not have much room in our house right now. We have mostly kept them in their unopened boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really don't have a lot of room either. This is the first we've really gotten organized after more than a decade of buying LEGOs. Storage/display is such a hard thing. It definitely takes some creativity!

      Delete
  3. I love your displays and organization. Instead of storing by color, we store ours by size and topic. So, all of the wheels go together, people, floor panels, windows etc. And then with the sizes, we just made towers of all the blocks or pieces that were the same size. Then we store the "towers" in their own clear storage boxes, or in tackle box style containers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea too. We do put all the minifigs and accessories together. We just have so many pieces that color works really well for us. We may need to do the wheel thing though, we have so many. We also have an insane amount of gray and black. Probably from all the Star Wars sets my boys have gotten over the years, lol.

      Delete
  4. Good display case. We put ours up on a shelf above where we kept our lego. My son, still at age almost 16, has some in his room yet. You are more organized than I if you keep kits in bags.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a feeling there will be some sets that my boys want to keep together for sure. Already my youngest doesn't want to take apart any of his space sets. We'll see how many of them get put back into bags. I only recently started putting them back in bags. It used to be they would just get thrown in the big bin.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to hear what you think.

Thankful Thursday

It's always a relief to not be sick anymore. I am thankful for feeling better after a sickness, and also for the healing power that the ...